Normally cyclic cows with no clinical abnormalities that have failed to conceive after at least three successive inseminations.
In herds where conception rates are commonly 50-55%, one would expect about 9-12% of those cows to be repeat breeders.
Evaluate heat records to classify the cow as early or late repeat.
- Cows must be in a true heat when being served.
- Insemination techniques must be as good as possible.
- Confirm that a cow is not pregnant before serving. If the cow is pregnant, AI may cause fetal loss.
- Identify and treat cows with vulvular discharge before starting to serve them.
- Don’t start serving too soon after calving.
- Minimize stress at service.